Jun 26, 2014

4 books that should be classics

After having a great conversation with my mentor, I started thinking about something.  There are a number of books that we call "classics" and have become very acclaimed works of literature.  Books every person must reed in junior high, high school, or college.  As an English major, I may even have to read them more than once-- who knows.  But even though I love books, I don't necessarily agree with the books that have been labeled classics.  If I could choose 4 books to title "classics"-- therefore I would recommend them to everyone-- here would be my top 4 (in no particular order)...

1. The Giver by Lois Lowry.  This book is so intriguing and pulls you into its world right away!  It's a story of a young boy named Jonas who has been chosen for a very special but difficult task.  The Giver is written very well and the imagery is great; I can picture every thing and every person in this book vividly, yet it leaves room for the reader's imagination.

2. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.  This 1,000 page fantasy book seemed to never have a down moment!  While many classics are incredibly dull and boring, this book was intense and exciting, brimming with adventure.  It focuses on multiple story lines of people who have nothing in common and live on opposite sides of the world-- but, being that Sanderson is the author, you know that every detail is important and things will come together in ways you don't see coming.

3. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I actually debated whether or not to put this one on the list, because it's so overdone now and the book has lost a bit of its charm for me since becoming multiple movies and earning millions (or billions) of dollars.  But reading it the first time was a great experience, because it was unlike many books I had read previously.  The idea of the games being a fight to the death was reminiscent of old gladiator games, and it dealt with a lot of deep societal issues.  It also has some comedic relief, which can be a breath of fresh air.

4. Daniel Deronda by George Eliot.  Daniel Deronda is what I think of as an "almost classic".  This book was written in the 1800's and deals with a lot of the same themes and dramas as classics of the time.  The main character is an Englishman who finds out something about himself that changes the way he views himself and others around him.  There are beautiful women, dictating husbands, love triangles, and ultimately the decision between right and wrong.

So there you have it!  A couple of books I would recommend to be on the classics list.  What are your favorite books, and which ones do you think should be on the classics list? 
Keep being awesome; get out there and read some books!
"The library is my gym!"
~Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment