Apr 17, 2014

It Means No Worries, For the Rest of Your Days...


I watched this amazing video the other day called "20 things we should say more often." It was seriously one of the most precious things I think I have ever seen and I totally agree with everything in it. I'll link it right here-- watch it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5yCOSHeYn4

Tonight I discovered something that I need to say more often and it is this very simple, yet powerful phrase... "I'm not going to worry about it."

You see, last Monday I got back from an amazing trip to Brazil. God seriously blew my expectations out of the water for this trip by showing up in His own unique and mighty way. I was with a team from America and a team of Brazilians and together we worked to encourage some tribes and villages of people on the Amazon River. Sometimes the work was hard, but it was definitely rewarding.

Here's the thing- since I've been back, life has strangled me. I feel like daggers have been coming at me from all different angles, in regards to physical, mental, and emotional health. Especially because there is just SO much to be done. One of my favorite things about Brazil was being able to practically lose sense of time. Time didn't matter much as long as you were flexible and ready to go whenever someone told you to go, and I was more than ready! However, the minute I came home I felt like I was having a seizure. The culture shock of America was overwhelming and just thinking about the millions of things I had to accomplish made me want to go into eternal hibernation.

Even in this moment, I have to battle the fear of everything that is overwhelming me.

I was asking God what I can do to take away the fear and overwhelming thoughts. I know I just need to focus on Him, but even then, where do I start? Do I focus on His love? His sacrifice? His goodness? Kindess? Patience? Joy? Peace? The list of His traits only continues....

But He answered me in the simplest way (it's actually pretty funny when I look back on it). He said, "When overwhelming fears come about, you have to remember that I won't give you any more than you can handle. So you have to literally face your fear and say 'I'm not going to worry about it.'" So I did...... and let me tell you, those seven words will change your life in big ways. Think about how much different our world would be if people would see a problem and say "oh, well, I'm not going to worry about it." Does this mean you shouldn't care about the problems you see, the fears you face, or the work that needs to be accomplished? NO. You just shouldn't worry about it.

There is a HUGE difference between worrying and caring. If you care about something, it has meaning to you, so chances are you won't do nothing about it-- you'll take action. For example if you have relationships in your life and you care about them, you will look out for the other person/people in those relationships. You will be there for them when they need help and look for time to simply love them. Or if you care about work that needs to be accomplished, you won't just blow it off completely, you'll do it, but it won't be something that holds you back from focusing. When you care about something, you don't have to be afraid of it the way you do when you worry.

 Here is the definition of worry according to Google,
"Worry: verb
  1. 1.
    give way to anxiety or unease; allow one's mind to dwell on difficulty or troubles."


And Google's definition of care,


"Care: noun
  1. 1.
    the provision of what is necessary for the health, welfare, maintenance, and protection of someone or something.

    verb
    1. 1.
      feel concern or interest; attach importance to something.


      1. 2.
        look after and provide for the needs of."


The connotations of each word are very different, as are our outlooks on them. So I encourgae you to identify your worries this week and turn them into things you care about, instead of things you worry about.

Two of my favorite verses from two of my favorite books of the Bible support this as they say,

"Proverbs 3:5-7
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.

Philippians 6:7
Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything."

Hakuna Matata folks ;)


Live, Learn, Love, Leave a Legacy,

             & Stay Creative,

           Emma


*This post was created weeks before actual post date

No comments:

Post a Comment