Feb 12, 2015

Gettin' it done!

I have to say, I know it's still early in the year but I am impressed with myself for reading so much.  Simply giving myself a goal and purposefully getting more books from the library keeps me away from things like the TV, computer, and iDevices.  It's been nice--my eyes are much less square now!  I also feel like I've had more time to engage my brain in useful things, because reading really does engage the brain so much more than mindless electronic things.

So, that being said!  Last week I successfully cried through The Book Thief, and this week I got the privilege of reading a not-yet-published book by my mentor Ashley.  It was such a good one--I would recommend it to y'all but since it isn't out yet I'll just say that once it is, you'll hear about it from me. :-)

I'm also about 1/4 of the way through Daughters of Mars.  It's a story of two Australian sisters who are nurses during WWII.  Oh mah goodness, people...I should've expected it, because it is about nurses during wartime.  But there is so much blood and guts.  Ew.  I have to skim so much, because even just reading the word "hemorrhaging" makes me woozy...and yes, writing it does, too.  (I know, I'm a sissy)

All the same, I'm still ahead of schedule with 10 books down!  And we just finished, what, week 6?  Eh, 6 or 7.  Something like that.  I'm ahead of schedule and definitely looking at adding 2 extra books to my goal, making an even "52 in 52!" 

Up next, I'm planning on reading a book called "Pretties" by Scott Westerfeld.  Never heard of it, but I know someone who says it's a good book so I figured I'll give it a try.  I've also got Beowulf, Frankenstein, and The Song of Roland sitting on my nightstand, so hopefully I'll get around to those in the near(ish) future.

Anyone read some weird books lately?

2 comments:

  1. Don't know if it matters to you or not, but I'm pretty sure that "Pretties" is the second book in the series just FYI ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized that after I brought it home from the library!!! Grrr.

      Delete