Jan 30, 2015

The Pilgrim's Progress

This is my weekly update on my 50 in 52 challenge...comin' to you one day late, because I'm lazy.  And yes, I did skip last week, because I didn't read any books last week. 

As the post title may imply, I read Pilgrim's Progress this week.  I also got halfway through The Book Thief, but that doesn't count [yet].  I have my friend Amber, who is also doing the 50 in 52 challenge, to thank for me reading this book.  For years, I've heard about this book--and I always thought it must be a boring book about American pilgrims or whatever.  I don't know.  I'm not one for American history or anything like that, so I never had any interest in reading it.

Then I talked to Amber, and realized I was dead wrong!  So reading this book was a really fun thing for me because on every page, my former expectations of what the story was about were completely shattered.  It was a really fun book.  And according to the preface written by the publishers, Pilgrim's Progress has apparently been read by more people in the English language than any book--with the exception of the Bible.  Which is pretty cool.  This book was a fun way of interpreting a Christian's journey through life, and I definitely enjoyed it.

So my current list is at 8 books, with a whopping 42 left to read.  48 weeks to go.

This week I'm hoping to finish up The Book Thief and also read Daughters of Mars...or possibly Beowulf.  Or any of the other books sitting on my nightstand, waiting to be read.  We'll see!

Keep the book suggests coming, people!

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny! I had no idea that you hadn't heard of Pilgrim's Progress. It's such a classic, beautiful, and compelling story. Thought I have to admit, I understand the children's version much better than the "adult" version. ;P

    ReplyDelete