May 10, 2014

Mommy's Little Helper: A Poem

The first time I saw my brother, I couldn’t believe it had come true,
I could now call myself a sister from that first moment I heard him coo.
Mommy’s little helper was my new job from that day on
Mommy’s little helper, I would always be, until I’m gone.
Always changing diapers and taking care of the dog,
With my friends, learning to do the dishes and making sure my siblings won’t sob.

One more brother, one more sister, and the cycle starts over again,
Always playing, helping, waiting, babysitting till the end.
Mommy’s little helper, proud to do her deed,
Mommy’s little helper, trying hard to succeed.

Then the kids grew older, needing help in different ways,
A sister to confide in, a helper to get through the days.
“Hey pick up your jacket! You can’t just leave it on the floor!”
Over and over and over again, mommy’s big helper asks for more.

Mommy’s big time helper, she tries to teach them well,
To be a good example, and make sure they grow up swell.

Mommy’s big time helper, it’s hard to know which things to tell.
Should you scold them, should you love them, which jobs are for mommy and which are for her helper?
Should you play a game or hold them? How do you deal with their temper?

Cleaning up messes, one after the other.
Doing twice the amount of dishes. C’mon sister and brother!
Mommy’s angry helper. Don’t you see that I’m doing my best!
To encourage them, to give them the answers, to help them pass the test!
Mommy’s angry helper doesn’t want to help anymore,
If you fail to see that I'm trying, than what am I doing this for?

I’ll give it my best shot but not for you, or her, or me
I swear I clean up after myself and try to be a part of the team.
Sometimes life is just too hard and I just want it to slow down.
Frustration and pacin and so much aggravation--
I can’t take it when all you do is frown.

Mommy’s little helper isn’t so little nowadays,
Mommy’s helper is growing up now, so she has to help in different ways.

Mommy’s big girl helper, wants to be the best that she can be,
But as much as she wants to, she can’t be perfect at everything.

Mother’s be good to your daughters, and appreciate them as they help you

Because sometimes mommy’s little helper is going to need mommy’s help too.


Live, Learn, Love, Leave a Legacy,
                                        & Stay Creative,
                     Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment